CBSE NOTES CLASS 12 PHYSICS
CHAPTER 10 WAVE OPTICS
Polaroid and uses of polaroids
It is a polarising film mounted between two glass plates.
Uses of polaroid
- It is used to produce polarised light.
- A polaroid is used to avoid glare of light in spectacles. Polaroids are used in sun glasses. They protect the eyes from glare.
- The polaroids are used in window panes of a trains and an aeroplane. They help to control the light entering through the window.
- The pictures taken by a stereoscopic camera, when seen with the help of polarized spectacles, create three dimensional effect.
- The windshield of an automobile is made of polaroid. Such a wind shield protects the eyes of the driver of the automobile from the dazzling light of the approaching vehicles.